The Victor Harbor Golf Club (the ‘Club’) was established on the 8th of September 1911 by its founder Dr Frank Douglas who along with eight other respected business men voted to establish the Club. Land was acquired and a little over a year later the Club held its first Open Day on 28 September 1912.
The Victor Harbor Golf Club is one of the most scenic golf clubs in South Australia and is highly rated by golfers as the premium Golf Course in the Southern Fleurieu Peninsula. It has a number of memorable holes but the one most golfers remember is the spectacular 1st hole. It features panoramic views of the township, the Bluff and Encounter Bay and is elevated 39 metres above the fairway.
The Club land covers 51.4 hectares of which some 16 hectares is fine turf area comprising the actual golf course. The course is very well maintained with access to water for all year round irrigation that enables the greens to be kept in top condition. Complementing the course are the many bird life and a selection of kangaroos who feed on the grass as golfers walk. The course is open every day except Christmas Day and attracts some 30,000 rounds of golf each year.
Birthplace of the Ambrose
The event which Victor Harbor is known for across Australia is the Ambrose, named after Richard (Dick) Ambrose, an American from Holland, Michigan, U.S.A. He and his wife Mary became friends of the Bohnsack family in the early 1960’s, and bought a holiday house near the Bluff. He introduced the game which he called ‘shotgun’ to Victor Harbor, one Sunday afternoon, when a few golfing couples tried it out.
That first Ambrose was played by Dick and Mary Ambrose, Geoff and Joan Bohnsack, Dick and Patty Rymill, Stan and Rose Lucas, Bill and Yvonne Goode, and Jack and Dorothy Vawser. The players liked the format so much from then on it was used for the club’s opening and closing days, when a large number of players were on the course and it was desirable for everyone to finish at about the same time. It was soon being called the Ambrose, after the man who had introduced it here. There was a three-column article in the Sydney Morning Herald of 11-2-1974 about Richard Ambrose and his golf game and how it all started.
Victor Harbor Golf Club Cafe
The Clubhouse compliments the views down the 1st Tee and is a popular destination offering A la Carte meals, fine wine, finger food and quick snacks.
The Club is an incorporated Association under the Associations Incorporations Act 1985 and is managed by a Committee of Management appointed by the members. The General Manager is responsible for all operations of the Club and liaises with the Committee of Management and in particular, the Club Captain on the management of all golfing events.
A spectacular, challenging and enjoyable golf experience enhanced by a friendly social environment.
Benefits of membership
Quality of our course and facilities
Contribution to the S.A. Golfing community
Contribution to the Local community
The Victor Harbor Golf Club Incorporated is managed by a member appointed Committee of Management in accordance with the Club’s constitution.
Course and Match Committee
Facilities, Plant and Equipment Committee
Finance and Administration Committee
Membership and Marketing Committee
Strategic Business Planning Committee